Sunday 8 July 2012

This weeks pick... TV

Anyone who knows me, knows I watch a lot of TV, probably more than what is considered normal, but hey, I do live on my own. I was planning to do a round up of this weeks shows and do this on a weekly basis until I realised I watch a lot of the same series week in week out so didn't want it to become samey. I have now decided that if I watch a show that is a one off or one of my regular shows has a really great episode I will give it a mention.

This weeks pick.

Michael Johnson: Survival Of The Fastest. Thursday 5th July 2012, Channel 4.

I love watching shows that explain my history further. I like to know how I got here, and not the biology of it but the fight of it. This show was really informative. It was exploring why black people are the fastest athletes in the world.

I love watching shows that explain my history further. I like to know how I got here, and not the biology of it but the fight of it. This show was really informative. It was exploring why black people are the fastest athletes in the world. It went in to depth, of how the strongest slaves were the ones who survived the journey, the beatings, the torture, the heartache that they endured for their children's, childen's, children's, children to be the greatest. Michael Johnson, a retired American sprinter who still holds the world record for 400m decided to trace his own history to see if his ability was down to his ancestors or his hard work. He figured it was both.  Taken from the dailymail who did an article about the show was this statement that backed up Johnson's theory.

'African slaves underwent a rigorous selection process and only the fittest were transported on ships. Interestingly, the toughest journey was to Jamaica, the last stop on the slave trail. Of the eight 100m finalists four years ago, three were Jamaicans, two came from Trinidad and Tobago, two were Afro-American and one, representing the Netherlands, was born on the Dutch Caribbean island of Curacao. All eight are believed to be descended from slaves.'

I don't know how true this theory is, I am not qualified to make that judgement but it is an amazing coincidence, and was a great show to watch.

x



No comments:

Post a Comment